Monday, July 5, 2010

Flies Flies and more Flies!!!!

Over the past two weeks we've encountered a new annoyance in our apartment... flies. Itty bitty little black flies and there are just dozen of them everywhere. They are the super irritating kind that fly up your nose and buzz in your ears while you are sleeping, eating, and breathing. They are incessant and we have killed upwards of a hundred by now. We've even had days were we kept count of how many each of us has killed but than we realize how disgusting that is and stop. Its quite frustrating to cook and have these buggers flying around. They dive bomb into drinks too. Last night was the first time we killed them while reproducing. We can't figure out where they continue to come from or a good method of getting rid of them. We've lowered the number of them but they still seem to be reappearing every few hours. I've made several versions of fly traps with different temptations below but none has worked so far.

The whole thing is just annoying. We've learned its not just our apartment either. Its the entire building. Casey teaches on the 2nd floor and vouches they have a fly problem too but those are larger flies but just as much annoying. Most of you know I'm a bit of a clean freak any ways and having flies usually means you need to clean something somewhere, not here. There is not fruit out, no dirty dishes, etc. our AC is even on so the windows are closed and yet they still seem to out number us. It just makes me feel dirty to live with flies like we do but I guess it could be worse. I can live with flies more than I can live with spiders.

I did a little google research and found that most people in Korea that have these kinds of flies problems is because there are holes of gaps in the windows which ours do have but not when fully closed as they are. And also because they tend to leave food out. I did read an interesting comment someone wrote about even coming in through your AC unit I think that is one possible theory. The others are our bathroom. There is a vent that goes out to the roof I assume being on the top floor and they could be getting in that way or even the drain. Whatever way it is it just disgusts me and I wish we could find a solution. My next idea is to purchase some bug spray and start spraying the areas I think they are coming in. I'm in a battle here and it's not easily going to be won apparently. These little buggers have made that abundantly apparent.

I'm finished venting now... :) its just one of those things you'll never forget and will be funny in a year from now but at the moment I am not enjoying this. Particularly because I'm home most of the time and these bugs are working on our nerves quite effectively.

We had a nice weekend. I live for the weekends when I get to be around people and be social. This weekend I'd been looking forward too as Tristan and Arienne were hosting a 4th of July/Canada Day party in what we kept hearing was an amazing apartment. They DO have an amazing apartment especially for Korea. It was very open and modern compared to a typical Korean apartment. They also had a large covered porch AND a never ending outside porch the length of the place. It was quite impressive and refreshing to being in different setting. We also met a few friends of friends from another city that is quite often confused with ours. They were from Jincheon as opposed to Jecheon and there is one more I'm forgetting. Needless to say they sound almost identical and are often easily confused.

Sunday we went for a run at the park with Ian and Casey. I've succumbed to peer pressure and started running with everyone else. I used to enjoy a run here and there in high school but nothing timed and no idea how far I ran. The best we can tell 6.5 laps around this park is a mile. Its a cute little park but is always packed out with kids and adults alike getting out play and exercise. The only part that gets at you after a while is the annoying little kids that follow you on their bike, skate board, or roller blades. Its terribly distracting when you're trying to get in the zone to run a 5K. I haven't made it the whole way yet but I've gotten closer every time. Yesterday was terribly hot and muggy so it just wasn't going to happen. Maybe next week.

No comments: